Carlanstown NS teaches the Curriculum in accordance with the directives of the Department of Education and Science. The Primary School Curriculum celebrates the uniqueness of the child, as it is expressed in each child’s personality, intelligence and potential for development. It is designed to nurture the child in all dimensions of his/her life. The curriculum recognises the integrity of the child’s life as a child and aims to cater for his/her needs and potential as they evolve day by day.
The general aims of primary education can be expressed in the form of three general aims:
- To enable the child to live a full life as a child and to realise his/her potential as a unique individual.
- To enable the child to develop as a social being through living and co-operating with others and so contribute to the good of society.
- To prepare the child for future education and life long learning.
Teaching and Learning
An important goal of the curriculum is to enable children to learn how to learn and to develop an appreciation of the value and practice of lifelong learning. The curriculum aims to instil a love of learning that will remain with the child through all stages of formal education and that will express itself in an enquiring mind and a heightened curiosity.
Different forms of classroom organisation will complement the variety of learning the curriculum has to offer. The following teaching methods will all be appropriate in particular learning contexts and in accomplishing different learning goals:
- Working collaboratively in groups.
- Working individually.
- Whole class teaching and learning.
- Working in pairs.
- ICT - we have interactive whiteboards in all classrooms.
- From time to time children will be brought outside the classroom environment and participate in walks/school trips etc.
- Inviting people in to share their experiences with the class.