We would like to bring the following Internet Safety websites to your attention:
- Office for Internet safety - provides resources, explanations of technology, publications and tips - www.internetsafety.ie.
- Web wise - provides parents, teachers and children with educational resources, advice and information about potential dangers on-line - www.webwise.ie.
- Watch Your Space - provides advice on managing children's profiles on social-networking sites - www.watchyourspace.ie.
- Texting acronyms - provides an explanation of net lingo www.netlingo.com/acronyms.php.
- Urban Dictionary - provides an explanation of everday slang used by children www.urbandictionary.com.
- Advice on mobile phones and texting - www.thatsnotcool.com.
- Common Sense Media - www.commonsense.org.
Tips and guides for parents (open in new tabs):
A Parent's Guide to Filtering Technologies - This information booklet for parents aims to help provide an understanding of the benefits of filtering to help protect children online. The booklet contains advice for parents on supervising children's Internet use and the use of filtering technologies.
A Parents' Guide to Social Networking - This booklet for parents aims to provide information to help understand the world of social networking websites (SNW) with their children. The booklet explains the world of SNW, the risks and what to look out for on a child's profile.
10 Tips for Parents - This leaflet from Webwise contains practical advice for parents to engage in their children's online experiences. It recognises that parents are key actors in fostering an ethos of a positive use of the Internet by young people.
The material Mr Ger Brick presented to Parents is available for viewing at www.inetsafetytalk.com/parentinfo.
Staff & Parents should use username parentinfo and password of inetsafety55 to access the page and presentation.
Note: To protect the content of Mr Brick's material, the files are password protected with a password of inetsafety55. The school is requested that the information is to be used by Parents for their own personal use and the information contained is not to be distributed or published to social media.