While the school makes every effort to minimise school related costs, the ‘School Saving Scheme’ aims to alleviate the financial burden such costs can place on families at various times throughout the year.
Based on the success of the scheme, the Board of Management requests that from September 2016 all families use the scheme for making payments. Money will not be collected on any other days.
- It is anticipated that a €5 saving per child per week will adequately cover all school related costs throughout the year.
- In September each family will receive a box of envelopes which are dated and include the family ID number.
- Parents may choose to pay a lump sum at the start of the year/term or may choose to save €5/pupil per week, €10 per fortnight or €20 per month using the envelopes provided.
- This year we ask all families to use the first envelope on Thursday 5th September to pay the stationary fee of €30 per pupil in full.
- From September, the following school related costs will be deducted from each child’s balance:
- Book rental & stationery fee (there is no need to send this fee in separately).
- Pupil insurance (if you choose to avail of the cover).
- School tours and fieldtrips.
- Curricular activities and initiatives e.g tennis.
- Thursday is ‘Saving Day’ and the eldest child in each family brings in the savings envelope each week with the amount marked clearly on the outside of the envelope. Class teachers have a folder & collection sheets. They collect the envelopes and maintain a record of who has saved on a weekly basis.
- Folders are sent to the office and the secretary opens all envelopes, checks amounts & updates balances weekly on excel sheet. All envelopes are held on file until the end of the year.
- The school pay all expenses and will be reimbursed from the saving scheme termly.
- A statement will be issued at the end of each half term for each child showing opening balance i.e. savings, deductions made to date and closing balances. Please note this may be a negative balance early in the year. At the end of the school year all balances will be refunded. Receipts will not be issued on a weekly basis.
We have received very positive feedback about the scheme. This scheme still affords teachers the flexibility to include additional curricular activities during the year which supports teaching and learning in individual classrooms. In addition it greatly reduces the amount of time spent collecting and recording money from individual classes and offers transparency and accountability for all involved.